Murder inquiry launched

Mr McGovern was socialising in the John Street area of Omagh prior to the attack which led to his death.


A MURDER inquiry has been launched into the death of a young Co Monaghan man who was attacked in Omagh in the early hours of New Year’s Eve.

19-year-old, Jason McGovern from Tydavnet died as a result of a head injury which he received when he was assaulted at the Cunningham Terrace car park on the Kevlin Road.


The murder inquiry was launched following a Post Mortem examination on Mr McGovern, who was found dead at a house in Mullan, Co Monaghan, at around midday on December 31.

The detective in charge of the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector, Ricky Harkness, said that Mr McGovern had travelled to Omagh with a group of six friends.

He said group attended the Terrace Bar and then Sallys Niteclub and that Mr McGovern left  shortly before 2am with a male friend and they were outside the Terrace Bar.

“Whilst there, they encountered a number of males, there was some type of verbal exchange and as a result Jason McGovern’s friend was struck. It was at this point that Jason was then attacked by one male.”

He was then assaulted for a second time just before getting into a taxi at the Cunningham Terrace car park

Skin therapist Shauna Mahon and Rachel Galbraith with proprietors Kirsty Dolan, Stacey Gormley and Bronagh Gormley. Crystal Skin Clinic...

Following last week's round two abandonment Tyrone resume their National League campaign against Monaghan in Omagh this weekend

A NUMBER of local sports stars and teams were recognised at the 2016 Fermanagh and Omagh Sports Forum Sports...


Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW