View the entire paper in
digital format, including a
downloadable PDF version.
Farmer facing ‘threat to kill’ charge
A LOCAL man has been charged over an incident in which roads staff carrying out preparatory work linked to the A5 dual carriageway were allegedly ‘threatened.’
It is understood the man approached contractors appointed by the Department for Regional Development and asked them to leave his land. When they refused, he allegedly indicated that he was going to return with a weapon.
The roads contractors alerted the police and it is understood the man was subsequently arrested at the scene. The incident occurred last week in the Omagh area.
A spokesperson for the PSNI told the Ulster Herald, “Police in Omagh have charged a 45-year-old male with making threats to kill. He is due to appear at Omagh Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, March 5.
“As is normal procedure all charges will be reviewed by the PPS. This is in relation to an incident on Wednesday, February 6.”
A DRD Roads Service spokeswoman said, “It is not appropriate for Roads Service to comment.”
Work on the A5 dual carriageway project has been delayed due to the ongoing judicial review which is currently being held in Belfast. However, Roads Service can still carry out preparatory work on vested land along the proposed route.