Omagh Business Awards: winners revealed…
LAST Friday night saw business people from across Omagh & District gather to celebrate and acknowledge the 2017 Omagh Business Awards, sponsored by SSE and run jointly by the Ulster Herald and Omagh Chamber of Commerce.
With 300 people in attendance at the Silverbirch Hotel, the stage was set for the biggest awards night of the year. The MC for the glittering occasion was UTV’s Frank Mitchell and after the fine meal, all the winners were announced and presented with their Award by the relevant sponsor. The main award of the night was handed to Allan Duncan of the Silverbirch Hotel as he was named the Business Person of the Year.
Nicholas O’Shiel, President, Omagh Chamber of Commerce, hailed the evening as an “outstanding success,” saying that the awards illustrate the business strength and creativity which exists throughout the local area.
“These Business Awards are about celebrating the success of local businesses and employers, recognising their hard work and paying tribute to their many achievements. Omagh has much to be proud of and the awards recognise not just the companies that contribute to the vibrancy of the District, but the talented and brilliant people employed within them across a range of business sectors. I would like to congratulate all the finalists and all our sponsors who have made the 2017 awards possible.”
SSE’s Vicky Boden said: “We were very proud to sponsor the Omagh Business Awards for the third year running. We always look forward to the ceremony and the opportunity to recognise businesses around Omagh and their role in growing the local economy. A big thank you the organisers, judges and everyone else involved, for putting on such a great event. We’re always delighted to work with Omagh Chamber, and we know the valuable support they provide to local businesses.
“On behalf of SSE, I’d like to say a huge congratulations to all the winners and all those shortlisted for their fantastic achievements. Local business is the backbone of the local economy, and it was great to see such high standards on show across every category.”
Nigel McDonagh, editor of the Ulster Herald added, “The gala night last Friday was a huge success for everyone concerned with the local business community being acknowledged for its dedication, commitment and success.
“A vibrant business community is essential as it forms the backbone of any local economy. The awards aim to raise company awareness, increase networking opportunities and improve company image and customer confidence. Ultimately, the awards recognise the efforts of local companies who have one thing in common, the dedication to achieve excellence.”
The Gala ceremony was a fitting finale for the Business Awards that launched back at the start of February when businesses and individuals were asked to nominate themselves or others. The awards process also included a judging panel, secret shoppers and a huge amount of Ulster Herald publicity for all nominees short-listed.
Demand for tickets was unprecedented as supporters turned out to back the nominees in search for glory and what a night it was with gongs handed out to all the winners and finalists.
Don’t miss Thursday’s Ulster Herald for a 16 page supplement featuring all the winners, and all the glam!!!
The award winners:
– Ulster Herald & Omagh Chamber of Commerce Business Person of the Year sponsored by SSE: Allan Duncan, Silverbirch Hotel;
– Best Start Up Business Award sponsored by Omagh Enterprise Company. Winner: Omagh Telecoms;
– Excellence in Customer Service Award sponsored by First Trust Bank. Winner: James McNulty & Co Solicitors;
– Creative & Digital Media Award sponsored by Dalradian Gold Winner: MAC AV;
– Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award sponsored by Ulster Bank. Winner: Ann-Louise Bresnahan, Rustic Runway;
– Employee of the Year Award sponsored by the Bank of Ireland. Winner: Treise Kelly, Barrett Opticians;
– Social Enterprise of the Year Award sponsored by JMG Systems. Winner: Easilink;
– Best Rural Business Award sponsored by Abac Chartered Accountants. Winner: Todds Leap;
– Retailer of the Year Award sponsored by Fermanagh & Omagh District Council. Winner: Classic Service Station.