St Mary’s turn on the style to sink Errigal

Killyclogher's Mark Bradley attempts to escape the challenge from Errigal's Cathal McRory.  MC 13

Killyclogher’s Mark Bradley attempts to escape the challenge from Errigal’s Cathal McRory. MC 13

Errigal Ciaran…0-11
Killyclogher.. 2-16

MERCILESS and remorseless, Killyclogher ripped Errigal Ciaran’s championship dream to shreds in a half hour of poor torture at Carrickmore.

Dominic Corrigan’s side didn’t turn up until the second period, but when they flicked the switch, the lights went out for the men from Dunmoyle.
The St Marys’ were clinical in a devastating demolition job as they turned a four points interval deficit into a thumping 11 points win.
Now they have a Donnelly Vauxhall SFC quarter-final clash with Trillick in their sights, and a crack at redemption, an early opportunity to avenge last year’s county final defeat.
Eoin Bradley’s game lasted just a minute, a black card resulting in an early exit following a rash challenge on Davy Harte, with Peter Harte converting the resultant free.
And with Caolan Tierney garnering plenty of possession around the middle, Errigal continued to press, pushing up on Sean Fox’s kick-outs, and doubling their lead through Mark Kavanagh.
Killyclogher didn’t manage their opening score until the 13th minute, when Tiernan McCann provided the assist for brother Conall to split the posts.
Mark Bradley was having a terrific tussle with Tyrone colleague Aidan McCrory, who made a telling interception as Bradley tried to release Simon O’Neill.
Corner back Cathal McRory pushed forward, thanks to the freedom provided by Killyclogher’s deployment of Emmet McFadden as sweeper, and off-loaded to Davy Harte for a point, and the men from Dunmoyle held a 0-3 to 0-1 lead at the end of the opening quarter.
But Tiernan McCann began to push deeper into opposition territory, and Killyclogher won the frees that Bradley (2) and O’Neill converted to bring the sides level by the 22nd minute.
But Errigal were more telling in the tackle and more positive in their support play, with runners from deep helping to create the opportunities that saw them out-score their opponents by five points to one in the closing ten minutes of the half.
Substitute Declan Quinn steered over a couple of beauties, and Padraig McGirr found the range from distance as they reached the turnaround in a healthy position, 0-9 to 0-5 ahead.
The transformation after the restart was simply remarkable. Errigal had no answer to the relentless surges of attack that a rampant Killyclogher side mounted.
The second half score-line, 2-11 to 0-2, tells the story in cruelly graphic statistical detail, providing a painful reflection for an Errigal Ciaran team that has rarely been so outclassed and out-manoeuvred.
Beaten for pace, trumped in the battle for clean and broken possession, Errigal were opened up through the middle and stretched along the flanks by an inspired St Mary’s outfit that refused to loosen the grip they held from the very first moments of the half.
Niall McFadden and Feargal Meenagh kept a plentiful supply of ball going to the front men, while Aidy Kelly and Conall McCann were heavily involved in virtualy everything.
Tiernan McCann sliced through the Errigal defence time and again with his piercing runs from deep, and Mark Bradley was a constant attacking threat.
They were level by the 39th minute when Bradley fired over his first point from play, and by the end of the third quarter, they had eased into a 0-12 to 0-9 lead.
Errigal simply couldn’t find a way to counter an opponent brimming with confidence and full of running, and it was all over when Killyclogher bagged two goals in the space of a minute.
Leo Meenan crossed for Simon O’Neill to palm home at the far post in the 47th minute, and Errigal had barely had time to recover when Tiernan McCann sprinted through the middle to send Meenagh through to slide the ball low past John Devine.
Errigal managed just two points, both from frees, from Peter and Davy Harte, and they were a well beaten side long before the finish, although Stefan Tierney did bring an excellent save from Sean Fox..
It was show-time for Killyclogher, and they delighted supporters with classy late points from the tireless Martin Swift, Bradley and Conall McCann.

A FIRST ever County Final meeting featuring Omagh against Errigal Ciaran will now showpiece a memorable Tyrone Senior Championship...

Pomeroy and Clonoe will do it all over again at the Athletic Grounds this evening after the sides couldn't...

DROMORE and Killyclogher are the notable absentees in the Senior Football Championship quarter-finals after a dramatic weekend of action


Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW