Advertisement

Man rescued from fire after neighbour raises alarm


An Omagh man in his 60s was rescued from his burning home thanks to the quick actions of his neighbours.

The potentially tragic incident occurred last Friday afternoon in the Shandon Park area of the town.

The man was rescued from a ground floor flat with a fire in the kitchen, by fire-fighters from a number of local stations wearing breathing apparatus, using a hose reel jet.

Advertisement

The casualty was treated by Northern Ireland Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation.

The alarm was raised by neighbours who heard the smoke alarm and went to investigate before ringing 999 at 2.30pm on July 21.

Crews from Omagh, Fintona and Dromore were mobilised, and two officers from Omagh District HQ also attended the scene.

The Fire Service said the call-out should serve as a reminder the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

A spokesperson added, “Fire-fighters were called to attend a fire in a ground floor flat and rescued a man in his 60’s from the flat. He was tended to at the scene by Ambulance personnel. The cause of the fire has been confirmed as accidental and the incident was dealt with at 2.49pm.”

Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW