Advertisement

Fleming family want murderer Stephen Scott banned from Omagh

Josie and Kathleen Fleming, looking through a book of momentos of their sister Silvia.

Josie and Kathleen Fleming, looking through a book of momentos of their sister Silvia.

THE family of murdered Omagh teenager, Sylvia Fleming have urged the Parole Commissioners to ban the man convicted of her killing from entering the town or visiting her grave, if he’s released from prison later this summer.

A hearing is expected to take place within weeks to decide if Stephen ‘Bulldog’ Scott is deemed suitable to start an early release programme after serving 14 years of a life sentence for the shocking murder in 1998.

Advertisement
StephenScott2

Stephen Scott.

The former part-time fireman is also to be given a report which was finalised on Tuesday of this week highlighting the concerns of the Fleming family and their key demand over the need for restrictions on him returning to the Omagh area.

“This man has absolutely no reason to come to Omagh and our family want him to be formally banned from our home town and from the grave of Sylvia and her unborn daughter in Killyclogher,” Sylvia’s sister, Josephine, told the UH this week.

“He has no family and no friends here. As for the grave, the only thing that would drag him back would be Sylvia’s unborn baby daughter.

“Our statement was finalised on Tuesday and will be delivered immediately to him. We’ve been informed that he will then have the chance to respond if he wants.

“Maybe he will finally give us the answers that we’ve been looking for throughout the past 16 years as to why he murdered Sylvia. But we simply don’t know. None of us have any idea what he has been like in prison, or even if he has shown any remorse for his actions.

“Words cannot describe how we feel at the moment after being over one hurdle after another. It’s hard to believe that 16 years on we’re now talking about his release.

Advertisement

“We never thought that we would be talking about him getting out after what he took from us. The scary thing is knowing that he’s going to be out and about somewhere, even though we’ve been assured that he will be closely monitored.”

The family is registered with the Parole Board and Victim Support. They say that they are playing a waiting game for news as to whether he will be released.

Currently they are awaiting information as to whether Scott has made a response to their report and the outcome of the review into his prison sentence. The family admit that they have come to accept the fact that his release will happen sooner or later.

Following his conviction in 2000, Scott received a life-sentence, but last year the Fleming family received notification that he was due to start an early release programme ahead of his official exit date in 2017.

Sylvia Fleming was 17 and two months pregnant when she was murdered by Scott on April 4, 1998. Her body was then chopped up and the parts buried in the foundations of a house being built close to Killyclogher.

She had been missing for eight weeks at the time.

Two other men were convicted of charges arising out of the horrendous crime.

The Northern Ireland Prison Service have said they could not comment on individual cases or the likelihood or conditions of any release.

 

 

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

SUBSCRIBE TO CURRENT EDITION TODAY
and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
(CLICK ON THE TITLE BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE)
Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW