Accies open All Ireland campaign with impressive win

Scott Elliott nailed a late penalty for Omagh Accies

Bruff…… 13
Omagh Accies 14
OMAGH Accies first All-Ireland League outing in 17 years yielded an impressive victory in Kilballyowen on Saturday, as they edged out Bruff in a keenly contested Division 2C joust.
Phil Marshall travelled to the Limerick stronghold bereft of several key figures due to injury and work commitments, but the Accies boss will be delighted at how events unfolded as his youthful squad rose to the challenge in magnificent fettle to record an eye catching win.
They did it the hard way having gifted the Limerick men an early try, but inspired by man of the match Scott Elliott, the Accies fought back to give their confidence a massive boost.
Bruff started the game on the offensive and immediately took advantage of some Omagh nerves by taking a 4th minute lead. Skipper John Hogan, Brendan Keogh and Cian Ryan were prominent in the pack and, with full back Graham Whelan, Eric Finn and Tony Cahill dangerous on the break, they pounced through Padraig Kilcoyne.
Young out half David O’Grady narrowly missed the conversion, but any notions Bruff held of establishing complete control were quickly dispelled as Omagh, through the efforts of Mervyn Edgar, Jamie Sproule, Elliott and James Catterson, stormed back.
Elliott reduced the deficit in the 11th minute from a penalty to leave the score reading 5-3 but Bruff continued to enjoy good possession and territory. Two minutes later O’Grady screwed a penalty wide before the Munster side grabbed a second try that went unconverted. Sean Hartigan crossing the line.
Omagh responded with a second Elliott penalty and then on the stroke of half time they took a first time lead with a deserving try. Hooker Adam Pollock was helped over the line to complete a strong period of visiting pressure. The conversion failed but Omagh turned around for the second half holding onto a fragile 11-10 lead.
The second half proved to be one of few chances as both defences dominated. Bruff did regain the lead when O’Grady kicked his second penalty midway through the half but Omagh replied a few minutes later when the impressive Elliott nailed the target again after referee George Finn pinged the home defence for another infringement. That score 13 minutes from time proved to be the winning of the match as Omagh made the long journey home in celebratory mode.  
Omagh continue on their All-Ireland League odyssey this weekend when they welcome Middleton to Coneywarren for another testing Division 2C assignment.

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW