Omagh family left homeless after devastating house fire

Jill McCann with Neil McSorley assess the fire damage outside her home. JB7

AN ELECTRICAL house fire on Saturday has left an Omagh woman and her three children homeless.

The blaze took place at the residence of Jill McCann in Drumannon Rise at approximately 2.13pm. on Saturday.


Fire services attended after reports of an issue with an electrical box, with three fire service appliances arriving at the scene to tackle the blaze.

While both mother and children escaped unharmed, the downstairs of the house has been “completely destroyed”. Significant smoke damage has also been caused to the upstairs of the house.

The family have now been left homeless, the only things with them being the clothes on their backs.

Jill is thankful however they escaped the flames unharmed, stating, “I dread to think what would have happened if this occurred while we were in bed asleep.”

All the children’s Christmas presents and specialist wheelchair and equipment for her disabled daughter has been destroyed.

Jill revealed they are now all living in a B&B and are begging for a house yo be provided for her family.

Jill’s close friend Neil McSorley set up a Just Giving page in aid of the family in the hours after the fire on Saturday.


In a few hours over £2,000 was raised and has now surpassed the £5,000 mark with generous donations coming from individuals around the area and farther afield.

“I’m hoping to raise money to help them get their life back on track,” Neil said. “Money will go toward trying to furnish a new property once one is found.

“Any donation would be much appreciated.”


To make a donation click the below link.


Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW