Moy skipper is enjoying the ride

An historic journey and time to get on their bikes for Dublin, Moy players Harry Loughran, Eunan Deeney, and Mark Gribbin, keeping their fitness levels high as they test out these two wheelers in the village. MC 17 Picture Michael Cullen

MOY Captain Eunan Deeney was still soaking up the Tir na nOgs thrilling ‘Trip to Tipp’ last Saturday before turning this thoughts to a dream outing at HQ.

The half-back was named official man of the match after his side came back from the death in stoppage time to shock An Ghaeltacht at Semple Stadium in Thurles, hitting a goal and two points to turn a low-scoring encounter in their favour.


The Moy struggled to impose themselves as an attacking force throughout the contest, even when playing against fourteen men, but as so often throughout a memorable Championship campaign, they found a way to prevail. Deeney admitted afterwards that they had put their loyal supporters through the wringer yet again, before ‘magic’ man Harry Loughran swooped for a dramatic equalising goal, and then both himself and sub Connall Duffy chipped in with match clinching points

“We don’t seem to make it easy on the crowd and on ourselves. We knew this was going to be a dogfight and that is what it was. The way we played we knew at half-time we still had a lot to do. An Ghaeltacht were always going to make it tough but we have talent up front and Harry Loughran there can always produce that bit of magic. He did exactly that.”

Even when the Kerry side lost their key attacker Eanna Ó Conchúir to a straight red card in the 42nd minute, Moy struggled to wrest the initiative with An Ghaeltacht still looking the more cohesive of the two sides as the opened a 0-6 to 0-3 cushion by the 60th minute. Deeney stated that it was a matter of the Moy staying patient and seizing their scoring opportunities when they came along, which they did, albeit belatedly.

“When a team goes a man down you might think things are swaying in your favour but you don’t always manage to capitalise on it. An Gaeltacht kept the ball very well and fair play to them they are a savage outfit. They kept their composure very well but we knew there was going to be a mistake made and we just waited. We were patient and waited for the mistake and capitalised when it came. Lucky enough we came away with 1-2 there at the close, from three attacks.”

Eunan felt that their courageous comeback spoke volumes for the character and determination of the team with very last one of them giving every last ounce for the collective cause.

“The boys all left it out there. We just knew coming down that we had to give it our all for the full hour and that’s what happened. Everyone just collapsed to the floor afterwards, our bodies were done. Every blade of grass was covered there.”

The Moy have little time to recover from such a draining and emotional triumph with Michael Glavey’s of Roscommon waiting in the wings in this Saturday’s All-Ireland Intermediate Club Final at Croke Park.


Needless to say he knows it will be an occasion to savour for everyone associated with the proud Tyrone club by the banks of the River Blackwater.

“We will have a lot of preparation to do and will look forward to the final.

“It’s where we wanted to be. Coming out of Tyrone we didn’t really foresee getting this far but we know we have a good team.

“We are enjoying every game we play and are just loving our football. The bunch of lads are unbelievable.

“You’d take an All-Ireland Final at any time or venue but for it to be at Croke Park is extra special. nA few of our younger lads have played there and I suppose it’s like home turf for the Cavanaghs at this point in their careers.

“But what can you say for your club to get the opportunity to play football on the biggest stage in Ireland. We will enjoy every minute of it.”


Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW