Advertisement

Tyrone trio relishing Ulster Hall bouts tonight

OMAGH featherweight Callum Bradley is ‘ready to go’ ahead of his professional debut on the undercard of the Conrad Cummings/Luke Keeler WBO European title rematch in the Ulster Hall tomorrow night (Friday).

He will take on 27-year-old Polish shouthpaw, Kamil Jaworek, who has five wins from his 16 previous bouts.

“Things are looking good, I’m ready to go and I can’t wait!,” exclaimed the 20-year-old, who has never fought without headgear until now.

Advertisement

“I’ve had a good look at [Jaworek] on YouTube. He’s a southpaw and he looks very awkward, but I’ve fought plenty of southpaws during my amateur days, I’ve sparred with plenty, so I’m well used to southpaws and I actually prefer fighting southpaws to orthodox.

“Training has gone well, I’ve had good sparring with Sean Duffy, who is also making his debut on the same bill. He’s very experienced, he went to the Commonwealth Games, and I’ve been sparring in Dublin, so hopefully it will all pay off.”

Coalisland’s Cummings, meanwhile, is keen to avenge his defeat to Keeler on April 21, 2018 when he lost the WBO European title following a disappointing performance on the Carl Frampton/Nonito Donaire undercard at the SSE Arena in Belfast.

Since then, the 27-year-old has changed trainer, joining Jamie Moore in Manchester and has reclaimed his crown after a unanimous points victory over the previously unbeaten Hungarian, Ferenc Berki, in the Titanic Exhibition Centre.

After an intensive 12 week training camp, Cummings believes he’s in perfect shape, mentally and physically, to produce the sort of performance he should have almost a year earlier.

“It’s been a very hard camp but a great camp. I’ve made some monster strides and I’m just pleased that I get the chance to right a few wrongs,” said the determined middleweight.

“I have taken a different approach to things this time because I know I massively underperformed, I know where I went wrong. I’ve corrected some things and I’m looking forward to showing my true worth.

Advertisement

“I want to thank and repay all my supporters with a big performance and I will!”

Another Tyrone boxer, supermiddleweight Taylor McGoldrick, from Rock, outside Cookstown, is returning to action after hand surgery, keen to extend his fledgling professional career to 3-0 when he takes on Gianni Antoh. The Indianapolis-born southpaw had to have bone from his hip grafted to his hand after beating Casey Blair last June, but he feels ready for the task ahead.

“The hand is holding up good, it’s like a new lease on life for me. I’m like a new man and after I get a big win I’ll push on to bigger things, maybe even a title by the end of the year,” he said.

FULL STORY IN YESTERDAY’S DUNGANNON HERALD

Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW