Trillick dominate disappointing Dromore

Trillick 4-12 Dromore 0-7

Trillick won their opening Senior Football championship match with consummate ease on Friday night, and laid down a serious marker for this year’s championship.

It had been expected that their game against Dromore would be closer than the 4-12 to 0-7 final score line, but after early skirmishes in the first half, Trillick pulled away.


Dromore had made a good fist of the game which had began with both teams playing cagey, defensive styles of football. Dromore had the better of things and they led 0-3 to 0-2 mid way through the first half.

Their early good form was short lived though as Trillick cut loose in the final ten minutes of the half. A run of scores that began with Rory Brennan’s goal, and finished the half with a major from James Garrity meant that they went in at half time leading by 2-5 to 0-5.

And in the second half, they further stamped their dominance on the game. Dromore didn’t score until the 54th minute, while majors from Garrity and Gallagher put the game to bed for Trillick in that second period.

Dromore weren’t helped by the loss of their goalkeeper Mark McGale who was sent off on a straight red for striking. They also lost Emmett McNabb and Sean McNabb to black cards in the second half.

All in all it was a forgettable evening for Dromore, but there is plenty for Trillick to be positive about.

In the first game of the evening, Greencastle beat Clogher in the most dramatic of fashions in the Intermediate Championship. At full time, the score was 2-6 to 0-13 in Clogher’s favour. But the eight minutes of stoppage time saw a crazy run of scores.

Greencastle’s Aaron Donnelly thought he had scored the winning goal in the 32nd minute. Then Clogher went down to the other end of the field, forced a diving save from the Greencastle defence, before Jamie Callaghan hammered to the net. There was four minutes of the eight minutes left to play when Ryan McCaughey scored what they thought was going to be the winner. But Greencastle had one final move. A long ball into the box was watched carefully by Conor Carson, who palmed to the net.


See Monday’s Tyrone Herald for match reports from both games.

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW