Advertisement

Omagh woman’s anger after US husband refused entry

AN OMAGH woman whose American husband was denied entry to Ireland says she is “angry and frustrated” after he was flown back to the United States on Monday.

Kylie Crawford-Volrath, 32, has blasted the immigration authorities in Dublin after her husband Ryan was denied entry, reportedly due to fears that he was going to overstay his visa.

The couple have three children Flynn, aged six, Foster, aged three and ten-month old Donavon. It had been hoped that Mr Volrath would surprise them by turning up on Sunday, his birthday.

Advertisement

But he instead found himself in the process of being sent back to America.

Speaking to the UH yesterday (Wednesday), Kylie said she would continue to fight to ensure that her husband is allowed through to visit her and their three children.

Legal proceedings have also been initiated against the Irish State by a Belfast-based law firm acting on behalf of Mr Volrath.

A petition calling for the American to be granted entry has so far generated over 30,000 signatures.

“I will do whatever I can in my power to have this decision reversed, but this whole situation has left me so angry, frustrated and disgusted with the way that Ryan, myself and our family have been treated,” Kylie said.

“Nothing can now be done until October 8 when the High Court in Dublin is back in session. We tried to legally challenge this on Monday, but Ryan was sent back on the very first flight on that morning and there wasn’t time.

“This decision is totally unjustified because he showed up with a return ticket, he had an employer’s letter showing he was returning to work on September 20 and he had proof that he had enough money to spend while he’s here.

Advertisement

“I got to see him on Monday morning shortly before he left. I presented our marriage certificate, the birthday certificates for our three children and I was basically told that this wasn’t their problem.

“They treated him like a criminal, he wasn’t given any food or water for six hours. Ryan is a gentle giant and is as far from a threat as it’s possible to be.

“Maybe the immigration authorities in Dublin will see the error of their ways and allow Ryan in for the first birthday of his youngest son whom he hasn’t seen since shortly after his birth.”

Belfast-based Phoenix Law said that they remained of the view that the decision to remove Mr Volrath on Monday morning was unlawful and that they have firm instructions to challenge the validity of the decision.

“It is still very much our position that the Irish State’s actions have infringed our client’s human rights and we have firm instructions to initiate proceedings against the Irish State for his removal,” said Sinead Marmion, who is acting for Mr Volrath.

“These proceedings will seek to have this incident expunged from his record and to claim damages for his unlawful detention and infringement of his right to family life.

“It is hard to depart from the theory that such unwarranted and unreasonable removals are closely tied with the UK’s pending exit from the European Union, with the Irish authorities now operating a much more rigid and aggressive regime regarding entry to the north of Ireland, via Dublin airport.

“The UK’s pervasive hostile environment policy is being mirrored in the Irish state.

“This case, if left unchallenged, would set a very dangerous precedent for future individuals who seek to return home and visit their children and families.”

The Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin has said that it does not comment on individual cases.

Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW