BY CHRIS BOWES
As lockdown continues this week, so too does the abundance of live online entertainment from local and international artists.
Staying in really is the new going out, at least for now anyway, although I’m sure I’m not alone in dreaming of the happier times ahead when we’re all gathered round at a live gig again.
In the meantime, check out the hiwhatson.com weekly guide of some of the best online streams happening this week and keep an eye on the hiwhatson.com Facebook page and website where links to all these streams and many more will be shared as and when they go live.
Thanks again to everyone keeping us entertained at home with these streams and if you’d like to be featured next week, contact a member of the hiwhatson.com team today.
Thursday, May 14
• Rian Murphy – Playing all your indie/pop/rock favourites, with requests and some originals every Thursday at 8.15pm.
• Colm & Caitriona Kirwan – Newlyweds Colm and Caitriona Kirwan are back with more Country covers and originals on their Facebook live at 8.15pm.
• A Celebration of ‘Ash’ – Marking 25 years of music from Downpatrick’s ‘Ash’, The Oh Yeah Music Centre and Lowden Guitars have curated a special Living Room Session, celebrating their debut album “1977”. The bands guitarist and vocalist Tim Wheeler will be on and so too will the North Coasts, ‘Brand New Friend’ and ‘Sister Ghost’ playing songs from Ash’s debut album from 1996 and some more recent originals.
Friday, May 15
• A Plastic Rose – Gerry Norman from popular Northern Irish band A Plastic Rose will be going through the back catalogue playing all your favourite APR songs over on his ‘Tour Alaska’ Facebook page at 7.30pm.
• False Friends – Omagh/Glasgow band False Friends are back with their regular Friday night show, starting at 8pm with lead vocalist Jonny Kirwan playing Solo followed by band mates Fearghal McMahon and Anna Doody for the after party at 9.30pm as they isolate separately during lockdown.
• Bantam and Fowl – Niall and Cara are back live from 8pm playing some old favourites, expect pitch perfect harmonies from these local favourites.
• Sean Magee – Sean Magee’s Friday night sessions have been getting bigger and better with each passing week, expect guitar, whistles, the fiddle and a high energy set from the Fermanagh man from 9pm, there might even be some dancing from girlfriend Aine.
Deckchair and Yumz Pubquiz – Comedians Micky Bartlett and Conor Keys host their weekly Pubquiz over on spreaker.com from 9.30pm. Get creative with your team names and join in.
Saturday, May 16
• The Logues – Kiel and Logan’s Saturday sessions are never to be missed, kicking off from 8pm, the lads will be taking requests and playing originals until around 10pm.
• Liam McGrandles – Scottish singer/songwriter Liam McGrandles is one I actually found by accident last week and was blown away, check him out this Saturday night from 8pm for covers and originals.
• Joe McVeigh – Joe has been doing a regular Saturday night session from his home studio for the past few weeks, he’ll be taking requests from around 8.30pm on Facebook Live.
• Davy K – Davy Kerrigan plays all your favourite classic rock and blues covers, taking requests on Facebook live from 9pm.
• DJ2Js – JJ Quinn brings your Saturday night to a close with a late night dance session, usually from around 10pm – late.
Sunday, May 17
• Owen McNulty – Acoustic Covers from 8pm.
• Rory Gallagher – The Former ‘Revs’ Frontman’s Sunday night sessions are incredible, playing a high energy set from 8pm with originals including ‘Locked on a Lockdown’, ‘Mad Dog Coll’, ‘Wired to the moon’ and all your favourite covers, the ‘Jimmy’s Winning Matches’ singer might even throw in a drum solo or two!
• Johnny Gallagher – Simply put, he’s one of the best guitarists in the country. The Bundoran man goes live for two hours plus every Sunday from 8pm.
Throughout the rest of the week, check out Barry Kirwan on Monday at 8pm. American singer songwriter Josh Ritter goes live every Tuesday night at midnight and keep an eye out for Brian and Keelan Pritchard, DJ Hammy, Radio 1’s Phil Taggart, Aslan’s Christy Dignam, Pat McManus and dozens more who regularly go live across the week.
Hiwhatson.com will have all the links so check them out on Facebook and have a safe and enjoyable week at home.
Posted: 6:22 pm May 14, 2020