By Chris Bowes
It’s been another incredible week in the world of online entertainment with so many of our local and international stars creating hours and hours of content for our enjoyment during lockdown.
Local comedian Aaron McCann released an incredible Podcast this week with one of his childhood heroes, WWE legend, Rob Van Dam.
Aaron described RVD as, “A man who has not only chased and achieved his childhood dreams but also was able to bounce back from hard times in his life and rebuild himself. This man is walking proof that with the correct mindset you can really achieve whatever you have your vision and intent set on.”
They talked for around an hour, discussing getting into stand up comedy, getting through rough times and how sometimes what you’re supposed to do in life can be traced back to your childhood. The podcast is well worth a listen and you can find it on all of your usual Podcast platforms or YouTube by searching for Aaron’s ‘Stop The World’ podcast and follow @mccanncomedy on social media for more great content from the Omagh comedian.
I’ve picked out some highlights for the week ahead, all of these streams will be shared on hiwhatson.com‘s Facebook page so keep and eye on there for regular updates throughout the week.
Friday, May 22
• Get the first listen of Trad band Beoga’s new album ‘Carousel’ on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram live from 8pm. Described as “Trad on Steroids” they’re going to be joined by some heavy hitters from the local music scene including the incredible Foy Vance, Ryan McMullan and Lissie to name just a few.
• False Friends – The Omagh/Glasgow band are back for their weekly Friday night streams with Jonny Kirwan kicking things off from home at 8pm playing False Friends originals and requests, followed by Fearghal McMahon and Anna Doody from the band who will be streaming live from Glasgow at 9.30pm for the after party.
• Bantam & Fowl – Niall and Cara return for their weekly live show playing some golden oldies with their pitch perfect harmonies at 9pm.
• Sean Magee – All Ireland Champion fiddler and multi-instrumentalist Sean Magee is back at 9pm with a high energy set from home and a little help from girlfriend Aine on Facebook Live.
• After a week off, The Deckchair and Yumz Podquiz is back on spreaker.com at 9.30pm with comedians Conor Keys and Micky Bartlett taking on the nation, get creative with your team names and join in on the action.
Saturday, May 23
• The Logues are live at 8pm with their regular Saturday night session from Kiel and Logan.
• Brian and Keelan Pritchard will be back taking requests on Facebook live at 8pm.
• Joe McVeigh’s weekly Saturday night Live will return at 9pm from his home studio.
• Davy K will be playing all of your favourite electric and acoustic covers from 9pm – late for fans of classic rock and blues.
• Gavin Kelly will be playing acoustic covers and originals from 9pm on Facebook Live.
• DJ2JS – JJ Quinn’s Saturday night rave brings the club to you, usually playing from 10pm to late although like a kid on Christmas Eve, excitement might get the better of him and he could start earlier so keep an eye on his page and hiwhatson.com for this.
Throughout the rest of the week, check out Johnny Gallagher, Rory and The Island and Owen McNulty at their usual times of 8pm on Sunday, links to all three of these streams will be shared on Hiwhatson.com’s Facebook page.
On Monday check out Barry Kirwan who will be live with his regular Monday night show at 8pm.
The Ruby Sessions will return on Tuesday at 9pm with special guests yet to be announced but previous guests have included The Coronas, Gavin James and Rodrigo Y Gabriela so that’s always worth checking out. Josh Ritter will be back with his Silo Sessions at midnight on Tuesday, while All Folk’d Up’s Barry and Pauric Mohan will be live again for their weekly show on Wednesday night at 9pm.
Have a very safe and enjoyable week and remember to follow @hiwhatson.com on Facebook for all of the latest news and live videos over the week ahead.
Posted: 6:30 pm May 22, 2020