The weeks are flying in and the entertainment on offer isn’t fading one bit. Last week we kicked things off on Thursday with an amazing night of live music from the likes of Foy Vance, Pat McManus, Christy Dignam and loads more. Christy had turned 60 last week and done an incredible live set in aid of ARC Cancer Support Services, it’ll be his last stream for some time as he begins his own cancer treatment again this week and we wish him a very quick and speedy recovery.
On Friday past we witnessed the reunion of Omagh’s ‘Freelance’ bandmates Dermy Taggart and Joe McCann who played a mammoth 6hr set! I actually watched all 6hrs of this and it was special, such a great night, the boys should definitely get back together more often.
There is so much on offer this week and as usual I’ve picked out some highlights below. Keep an eye on the hiwhatson.com Facebook page for all of these and more across the week and have a safe and enjoyable weekend.
Thursday 4th June
- L.A. based Indie Rock singer-songwriter Phoebe Bridgers will be doing a very special, intimate live streamed gig from her home at 7pm
- Rian Murphy – Acoustic covers and originals from the Omagh singer-songwriter from 8.15pm
- Colm and Caitriona Kirwan – Country covers and requests from 8.15pm
Friday 5th June
- The Rave Lockdown is back! Shane Todd and Dave Elliott’s Rave Lockdown isn’t due to return for 10x weeks to BBC Radio Ulster but it’s been so popular they’ve brought it back as a BBC Sounds download. This week’s show will be available from Friday afternoon and you can download and listen to it at any stage throughout the weekend.
- False Friends are back this week with their regular Friday night stream, join Jonny Kirwan live from 8pm with his popular ‘Live and Awkward’ session, playing False Friends originals and taking covers requests on the Band’s Facebook live, then, join Fearghal and Anna live from Glasgow for the ‘Steaming and streaming’ afterparty at 9.30pm.
- Justin McGurk from The Boogie Men will be back this weekend with his regular streams on Friday and Sunday at 8pm playing all your favourite party classics and requests, also check out his brand new single ‘Everyday Heroes’, which is his tribute to healthcare heroes and frontline workers.
- Cara and Niall from Bantam and Fowl host their weekly golden oldies show from 9pm with their pitch perfect harmonies, it’s a real feelgood show every week.
- Sean Magee’s ‘Friday night tins’ is one of the most popular regular streams of the week, having built up a loyal following, his weekly streams are getting bigger and better as lockdown goes on. Expect a high energy set, from the incredibly talented guitar, whistle and all-Ireland champion fiddle player from 9pm with dancing from girlfriend Aine.
- Davy K’s Going Out.. In Party is back at 9pm
- The ‘Deckchair and Yumz Podquiz’ returns after a week off with quizmaster Conor Keys at the helm and comedian Micky Bartlett taking on the nation from 9.30pm on Spreaker.com
Saturday 6th June
- The Hollywood Fitness Online Variety Show Extravaganza takes place on Saturday 6th June from 7.30pm. The evening is being run by Hollywood Fitness in Cookstown, organised by Niall Hollywood from Greencastle and features a host of local variety acts and very special guests. In aid of Children’s Cancer Charity ‘Clic Sergeant’ the event will feature magic and mentalism from Liam O’Neill, a burlesque routine from Kathy Collins, Live music from Ryan McGarrity and international comedy superstar ‘Tom Binns’ (as seen on CH4’s ‘8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown’). The event will be streamed in a private Facebook group with a donation of £10 enough to secure your ticket to the show and support this very worthwhile cause. For more information visit ‘Hollywood Fitness Cookstown’ on Facebook.
- The Logues from Castlederg are back with their twice-weekly stream featuring Kiel and Logan from the band at 8pm on Saturday’s and Wednesday’s.
- Brian Pritchard and guests return at 8pm. Regularly joined by his sons, Brian’s ever popular sessions are always a hit.
- Kevin Hurson has two weekly live streams beginning with his acoustic covers and requests show at 8pm on Saturday evenings and returning Sunday afternoons from 2pm with his Folk and Trad show.
- Saturday Night Live from The Stand Comedy Club returns with its first instalment of the Newcastle takeover, this week featuring BGT winner ‘Lost Voice Guy’, Seymour Mace and ‘I, Daniel Blake’ actor and comedian Davey Johns plus many more. 8.30pm and it’s free to stream on YouTube and thestand.co.uk website.
- The Jesse Janes Living room session is back from 9pm with the McCusker sisters, originally from Omagh now living in Liverpool, Kate and Mary Rose are incredible. For fans of Blues, Americans, Country, Folk and Irish Trad be sure to tune in.
- Rory Gallagher has switched from Sunday’s to Saturday’s now playing his madcap set of covers and hilarious originals from 9.30pm for The Saturday Night House Party.
- Two of the big hitters on the local music scene, Dermy Taggart and Liam Clarke have joined forces for a night of covers and originals playing a live set from 10pm this isn’t to be missed.
- Round off your Saturday night with the one and only JJ Quinn, bringing all your dance favourites and blasts from the past from 10pm-late.
And that’s not all…
Across the remainder of the week, join the regular live streams of Cliona Hagan at 7pm on Sunday, Johnny Gallagher, Owen McNulty and Barry and Pauric Mohan from All Folk’d up all streaming from 8pm onward on Sunday. Barry Kirwan will be back on Monday night at 9pm, his father Dominic Kirwan will be live on Wednesday from 8.15pm and The Ruby Sessions will be back on Tuesday night from 9pm. Have a safe and enjoyable week at home and keep an eye on hiwhatson.com Facebook for links to all of these streams and much more throughout the week.