Well we’ve witnessed another incredible week with some of the very best local and international talent on offer streaming live online for our amusement.
It was brilliant to see The Hootin Annie’s reunite for the first time in months, treating us to two very special gigs over the weekend with the promise of more to come from the local 3 piece.
Dermy Taggart and Liam Clarke joined forces on Saturday night for a late session, the guys don’t normally play together so that was really cool to see.
One of the highlights from the whole weekend for me was The Hollywood Fitness Variety show organised by Niall Hollywood in aid of CLIC Sargent. The evening began with a magic and mentalism routine from Omagh’s Liam O’Neill that was simply mind blowing, A routine that wouldn’t look out of place in a Britain’s Got Talent Final.
If you missed it in real time, you can watch the video back on Liam’s Facebook or YouTube, it’s definitely worth watching.
Cathy Collins then done an incredible burlesque routine before comedian Tom Binn’s was introduced.
Tom, best known for his character “Ivan Brackenbury” the hapless hospital radio DJ (as seen on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown) was on fine form, he’s one of the few comedians around that reduces me to tears of laughter every single time I see him.
The evening was rounded off with live music from Ryan McGarrity and the whole event was a massive success for the Hollywood fitness team, so well done all involved. So far they’ve raised around £1,300 and counting which will go a long way. You can still make a donation and watch the show back if you’d like by contacting Niall at Hollywood fitness.
Here what’s happening this week…
Onto this week then and there’s plenty to look forward to, I’ve picked out some highlights for the weekend below but as always keep an eye on the Hiwhatson.com Facebook and website for all of the latest news and updates and have a safe and enjoyable week ahead.
Thursday 11th June
• Live with Carnegie Hall – One of America’s premier singer-songwriters, Rosanne Cash tops this lineup which will have a focus on protest music – past and present – and its ability to bring people together in times of crisis. Cash and her notable guests which include Brandi Carlile and Elvis Costello will be live from 7pm our time on Facebook Live.
• Rian Murphy is back playing acoustic covers, requests and his own originals from 8.15pm
• Colm and Caitriona Kirwan will be live playing country covers and taking requests also from 8.15pm
Friday 12th June
• Gerry Norman from Tour Alaska and A Plastic Rose returns at 7.30pm with requests incorporating his own originals from both projects and covers. Also check out his new Tour Alaska album ‘The Guiding Moon’ which is out now.
• False Friends are back at 8pm beginning with Johnny Kirwan. Each week I set Jonny a challenge to learn a new cover for me and he nails it every time, his version of Lucky Man by The Verve last week was incredible. This week he’s learning a Josh Ritter song that I love, tune in to see the results. Fearghal and Anna from the band will then be doing a live Stream from 9.30pm straight after Jonny’s set.
• Justin McGurk from The Boogie Men returns this weekend with his regular Friday and Sunday sessions, both at 8pm playing all of your favourite party classics and requests.
• The Tallest Man On Earth will be live on YouTube from 8pm playing his own originals. The Swedish singer-songwriter is one of the best in the business.
• Sean Magee’s ever popular Friday night sessions hit new heights last week streaming to over 700 people at one stage, these gigs are not to be missed. He’ll be playing live from 9pm as usual.
• The Freelance boys are back! After the success of their live stream a fortnight ago, Dermy Taggart and Joe McCann have again teamed up to bring you Freelance originals and covers from 9.30pm.
Saturday 13th June
• DJ Hammy B will be taking your requests from 7pm on his Facebook Live
• The Hootin Annies are back and it’s a joy to watch. The boys will be streaming live from their garage from 8pm, you’ll not want to miss it.
• Kiel and Logan are back with their weekly live show streaming from The Logues Facebook page at 8pm.
• Brian Pritchard and sons will be back at 8pm taking requests.
• Kevin Hurson’s weekly streams will be taking place on Saturday at 8pm for his acoustic requests show and 2pm on Sunday for his folk and trad show.
• Davy K’s marathon sessions return at 9pm with all of your classic rock and blues favourites, regularly streaming for up to 4hrs, these shows are great.
• Rory Gallagher’s Saturday Night House Party is growing on numbers each week, the Donegal man puts on a high energy set worth watching from 9.30pm
• JJ Quinn will be playing all of your favourite dance and trance favourites from 10pm to late.
Also across the weekend, Download Festival which was due to take place this weekend will be streaming exclusive footage and unseen performances throughout the weekend from the likes of Kiss, Iron Maiden, System of a Down, The Darkness and much more via Download Festival’s official YouTube channel.
Cliona Hagan returns on Sunday at 7pm for all of you Country fans. Johnny Gallagher from The Boxtie Band and Owen McNulty will also be streaming from 8pm on Sunday. Barry Kirwan and Conor Magee will be streaming on Monday from 8pm and 9pm respectively. Dominic Kirwan will be back streaming on Wednesday at 8.15pm and there’s loads more besides, keep an eye on the hiwhatson.com Facebook page for all of the latest updates throughout the week.