Lockdown measures are easing with each passing week and it’s great to see things move in a direction where we can get back to something resembling normality as we once knew it. The announcement of restaurants, bars and cafés being allowed to open safely again from the 3rd July is fantastic, however it’ll be some time yet until Live music and events can return to these venues. Thankfully, there’s still plenty of online entertainment on offer as local and international musicians and comedians continue to put on live streamed events from home for our enjoyment during these strange times.
I’ve picked out some live highlights for the week ahead, links to all of these streams and more will be shared on the hiwhatson.comFacebook page and website so be sure to keep an eye on those for updates throughout the week ahead.
Thursday 18th June
- hiwhatson.com‘s very own Darren Pritchard, celebrates his birthday today with a special live stream from the Brothers Inc singer, featuring his extremely talented daughter Megan from 7pm on Facebook Live. Megan has guested on some of her grandfather Brian’s live streams over the past few weeks and has seriously impressed so it’s good to see her take the leap and join forces with her father for this one.
- Former Mama’s Boys frontman Pat McManus is back live tonight from 8pm – the guitar and fiddle maestro will be playing some originals from his Mama’s Boys days with covers likely to include a Rory Gallagher number or two since it was the 25th anniversary of his death this week.
- Colm and Caitriona Kirwan also return tonight, playing country covers and taking requests from 8.15pm
Friday 19th June
- Gerry Norman from Tour Alaska and A Plastic Rose returns at 7.30pm with originals from both bands and cover requests.
- Justin McGurk from The Boogie Men returns this Friday and Sunday with live streams number 23 and 24 since lockdown began, both streams start at 8pm with all of your favourite party classics and requests.
- ‘JyellowL’ who’s single ‘Ozone’ features on the ingame soundtrack for EA Sports’ Fifa 20 will be doing a special Lock Up Live from 8.30pm.
- Bantam & Fowl’s Niall and Cara are back with their Golden Oldies and perfect harmonies from 9pm.
- Sean Magee returns at 9pm, his high energy live show peaked at over 800 viewers last week as he continues to draw in bigger numbers every week. Expect the fiddle, whistles, guitars, loop pedals and Irish dancing from girlfriend Aine.
Saturday 20th June
- Brian Pritchard and sons will be back at 8pm taking requests.
- Kiel and Logan from The Logues will also be taking your requests on their Facebook live from 8pm.
- Kevin Hurson’s weekly streams return this week at 8pm on Saturday evening for his acoustic requests show and 2pm on Sunday for his folk and trad show.
- Scottish singer-songwriter Liam McGrandles will be going live on his page from 8pm.
- The Stand Comedy Club Live returns to Edinburgh this Saturday from 8.30pm featuring some of the best acts from the Scottish Comedy Circuit including Mark Nelson, Gareth Waugh, Jay lafferty and Jo Caulfield plus Lifford comedian Ryan Cullen who’ll also be performing on the night.
- Davy K’s weekly session is back at 9pm with all of your classic rock and blues favourites
- Joe McVeigh will be live around 9pm from his home studio, taking requests and playing indie, rock and pop covers.
- Rory and the Island’s Saturday Night House Party is returning at 9.30pm with new and improved AV, Rory will be playing originals from his time with The Rev’s and taking cover requests.
- Irish Folk band, The Banjacks will be playing their last ever gig via Facebook live at 9.30pm. The band have decided to seperate after 6 years as the 3pc are set to move in different directions, I’d like to wish them all the best in their future projects and look forward to seeing this final gig.
- Tiny Changes fundraiser take place saturday and Sunday at various times in memory of Frightened Rabbit front man Scott Hutchinson. The charity was set up after Scott took his own life in 2018 and focus’s on mental health and wellbeing for children and young people. The event will feature the likes of Frank Turner, Tim Burgess, Aoife Nessa Frances and dozens more across the two days on the ‘Tiny Changes’ Facebook page.
The rest of the week….
On Sunday, The Irish Post have put together an incredible lineup of Irish Country and Folk in aid of Mental Health Ireland. The event starts at 7pm on the official Irish Post Facebook page with guests including Aslan, Ash, Daniel O’Donnell, Derek Ryan, All Folk’d Up, Cliona Hagan, Lisa Canny, Sir Stevo Timothy, Michael Flatley and Rory Best to name just a few. An incredible evening in store, definitely worth watching and cause worth donating to if you can.
Barry Kirwan will be back on Monday evening at 8pm, followed at 9pm by Conor Magee Monday and Keelan Pritchard. The Ruby Sessions will be back with two acts premiering live sets from home on Tuesday evening at 9pm and on Wednesday evening, The Logues will be live from 8pm, Dominic Kirwan will be doing a live stream from 8.15pm and All Folk’d Up will be live again from 9pm on Facebook Live.
Have a safe and enjoyable weekend in and keep an eye on hiwhatson.com for more throughout the week ahead.