Advertisement

Woman was left ‘trembling with fear after stone attack

AN OMAGH woman has told of how she was left “trembling with fear” after a group of up to ten teenagers threw stones and threatened her earlier this week.

The incident happened at the bowling green and pond close to the Leisure Complex at around 7.30pm on Monday evening. It is understood to be the latest in a number of similar anti-social episodes in that area during recent weeks.

Officers from the PSNI are investigating what happened amid calls for an increase in patrols.

Advertisement

Speaking to the UH, the woman, who did not wish to be named, said she had been left in a state of shock as a result of the frightening confrontation.|

“We were out for an evening walk and were going towards the pond between Campsie and the Leisure Complex. There was this group of teenagers enticing the ducks close to them and then throwing stones at them,” she said.

“Some of the young people were only 14 or 15 years of age. I pretended to take a picture of what they were doing. It was at this stage that things took a turn for the worse.

“They came after us as a group and began shouting towards us, calling us names and throwing quite large stones which were landing close to our feet.

“It was very frightening and luckily my partner was there because I dread think what would have happened if I had been on my own. They were quite aggressive towards us, calling us names and saying we should be social distancing.

“Most of them were quite tall and were wearing hoods that were covering their faces.

“This isn’t the first time that people have felt and been threatened going through that area.

Advertisement

“A number of my friends have also told me about their experience and how something needs to be done to increase patrols, especially in the evening time to try and stop this type of anti-social behaviour.

“This terrible experience has definitely left me very reluctant to walk through that area again, and I certainly wouldn’t be doing it on my own.”

In response to the incident a PSNI spokesperson said, “Police received a report of a group of youths throwing stones at members of the public in the Old Mountfield Road area of Omagh on Monday, June 29.

“Enquiries are continuing and we are appealing to anyone who witnessed anything suspicious in the area to contact police in Omagh on 101, quoting reference number 567 of 01/07/20.”

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

SUBSCRIBE TO CURRENT EDITION TODAY
and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
(CLICK ON THE TITLE BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE)
Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW