Advertisement

Dungannon mother’s warning after child’s scooter fire

A DUNGANNON mother has warned other parents over the dangers of electrical chargers after her child’s toy caught fire.

Luckily for Kelly McGeary and her family, the fire which destroyed the motorised scooter did not engulf the surrounding building in which it had been stored.

The mother-of-three who lives in Parkanaur Forest said they only realised there had been a fire the following morning.

Advertisement

“It happened on Saturday night and we didn’t know anything about it until my wee girl went out to the shed in the morning,” said Kelly.

“The hoverboard (motorised scooter) was completely destroyed. It had been on the charger overnight and the fire must have started with the charger.

“You hear and read about chargers starting fires, but you never really think it will happen to you.”
She continued, “There was a lot of smoke damage caused to the shed, but it could have been so much worse.

“I am just so thankful that we didn’t have it in the house at the time. It doesn’t bear thinking about.”

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

SUBSCRIBE TO CURRENT EDITION TODAY
and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
(CLICK ON THE TITLE BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE)
Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW