Joy for Dungannon while Eglish and Gortin goes to pens

Dungannon, Thomas Clarke’s once again revelled in the pressure-cooker situation of extra-time as they qualified for the Tyrone Senior semi-finals following a 0-23 to 2-15 win over Ardboe.

Paul Donaghy was the hero as he kicked a succession of points, including a few pressure scores to send the game to extra-time with the Clarke’s winning their opening-round game with Loughmacrory by the same method.

Ardboe made a good start as Shea Quinn hit the net in the ninth minute, but with Donaghy in fine shooting form, Dungannon were just one behind at the break, 1-7 to 0-9.


Donaghy grabbed the first two scores of the second half but then Ardboe hit their second goal through Cormac Morgan to leave them 2-7 to 0-11 ahead.

Michael O’Neill and Ronan Cassidy tagged on scores to move Adboe four in front but Donaghy hit a quartet of scores to level things once more with four minutes remaining.

Ardboe responded well though Kyle Coney and Michael Lynn before the amazing Donaghy hit two more scores to force extra-time.

Like in the first hour, Ardboe seemed to have the upper hand as they led 2-15 to 0-18, but Dungannon hit the last five scores through Donaghy (3), Patrick Quinn and Kevin Barker to seal a famous win – and a semi-final date with Errigal Ciaran.

In this evening’s Intermediate clash, Gortin progressed to the semi-finals at the expense of Eglish following a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

The St Patrick’s men produced a great first half with Sean Og McAleer showing plenty of accuracy as they went in 0-6 to 0-2 in front, Ethan Jordan and Emmet McKenna with the Eglish scores.

Luke Donnelly and McKenna (2) hit early scores for Eglish on the restart, either side of another McAleer white flag, to leave Gortin 0-7 to 0-5 ahead.


Donnelly and McAleer swapped points before Jordan brought the gap to one again heading into the final 10 minutes.

It was Eglish who finished stronger and they led 0-11 to 0-10 in additional time, but McAleer popped up again to force extra-time.

Eglish led 0-13 to 0-12 at the end of first half extra-time but Gortin came back and were level after 80 minutes (0-14 to 0-14) – and so it was on to penalties.

Both sides scored three and missed two of their five penalties, and so it went to sudden death. Eglish missed their sixth kick and Gortin scored theirs to progress.

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW