Dillon and O’Sullivan sink Dungannon

Dungannon Swifts….0

Warrenpoint Town….2

By Tommy Nethery


Dungannon Swifts are still looking for their first point of the season after second half goals by Kealan Dillon and Alan O’Sullivan condemned Kris Lindsay’s side to defeat at Stangmore Park this afternoon.

Dillon struck three minutes after the break and O’Sullivan, moments after coming off the bench, sealed the victory in the closing minutes.

Swifts gave as good as they got but were denied time and again by the superb Gabriel Sava in the visiting goal who pulled off excellent stops to thwart Michael Carvill and Oisin Smyth.

The visitors had the better of the opening 45 minutes and created a number of excellent opportunities to grab the advantage before the break.

A deflected free kick by Matthew Knox crashed back off Sam Johnston’s crossbar while striker Ryan Swan steered a shot agonisingly wide when seeing the whites of Johnston’s eyes.

Point defender Gavin Peers and Dillon also went close while at the opposite end the best opportunity fell to Carvill, whose close range effort was somehow blocked on the line by Colm Deasy.

The deadlock was broken just three minutes into the second half when Dillon found himself in space and the Point midfielder fired in off Johnston’s right post.


The home side duly responded but they found visiting stopper Sava in imperious form. The Point keeper tipped a rising Carvill shot over his crossbar before twice denying Oisin Smyth.

Sava acrobatically finger-tipped a rasping effort by the midfielder onto his crossbar and from the resultant corner the keeper kept out Smyth’s back post header.

Shortly afterwards O’Sullivan galloped through to hammer the final nail in Swifts’ coffin.

The Teams

Dungannon Swifts: Johnston; Coyle; Teggart; King; Byers (Forde 83); Lowe (Convie 56) ; Smyth; Carvill; Campbell; Teelan (Patton 56); Hughes.

Subs not used: Byrne; McGinty; O’Kane; Glenny.

Warrenpoint Town: Sava; Deasy; Ball; Peers; Dillon; Gallagher (O’Connor 66) ; Carroll (O’Sullivan 80); Swan; Hutchinson; Knox (McVeigh 88); Wallace.

Subs not used: Coleman; Mullen; Cowan; Carson.

Referee: T Marshall (Irvinestown)

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW