You’ve probably heard me going over the same advice coming in to colder weather…
- Keep your lower back, belly, neck and ankles covered up and warm
- Don’t sit on cold surfaces
- Do not make a habit of eating/drinking anything colder than your body temperature.
I sound like your granny I know… but let me explain why this is so important from a Chinese Medicine point of view.
We all have a central fire, known more specifically as the ‘Gate of Life’. It is where the original life essence of the individual is based. We are warm-blooded beings, and from this Gate of Vitality comes our ability to be warm.
This Gate of Life is responsible for:
- Fundamental energy for life
- Helping create a strong immune system
- Warming you up
Because of it’s location, around the kidney area, to the front and the back, I always consider it if a client comes to me with back pain, stomach issues, any abdominal complaints and fertility support. But there are other issues and areas in our life that can be affected if this fire is not ‘burning’ as it should. Insomnia, lack of will power and feelings of sadness being high on the list.
We receive the original energy for this fire via our genes, a healthy pregnancy and birth. After birth we begin to draw on it, but also to re-supply it with energy from the food and drink we consume.
So we want to keep this fire burning as it should, especially coming into the colder months when we may need to draw on it a little more. So what can we do?
My top tips are;
- Consume nourishing, warming foods and drinks.. think bone broths, soups, stews.
- Stay away from cold, raw foods and drinks.
- Do not train/sweat excessively; reserve your energies in the darker, colder months.
- Do however move daily with flowing, gentle exercises like yoga, pilates, tai chi, qi gong, walks in nature etc Think of keeping your metabolism and circulation boosted.
- Get to bed earlier and sleep sleep sleep! (I laugh writing this with a teething toddler in my house at the mo).
- Meditate/Pray/Journal… daily! A lovely practise is a daily gratitude journal, looking after your mind and focusing on the positives in life is super important, especially in the darker colder months.
- Keep your body’s core temperature warm to protect the life gate fire of the kidneys…..
Which leads me on to this fantastic product I have discovered and been recommending to a lot of my clients, family and friends.
It is called a haramaki, meaning ‘belly wrap’ in English. This is a unisex stretchy cotton tube to keep you warm and cover you up. Having the core of your body insulated raises your body temperature all over. This is because the inner organs are warm, increasing your circulation, which spreads heat all over your body, even to the toes and fingers. So basically, warm your core to warm you all over.
If you have any issues with your back, stomach, fertility or even if you just want another easy layer to wear if you’re feeling that bit colder now, I can genuinely recommend this product. I have been using one since Autumn and have noticed a huge difference in my core body temperature and my back pain!
You can shop directly here: Nukunuku
If you do decide to try one of these haramaki’s please let me know how you get on and the differences you notice, I’d love to know!
* I am making these recommendations as I think this product is genuinely fantastic and I use them myself and within my business. By shopping from this link you are supporting my business as I get a small percentage of the sales, which is greatly appreciated, especially during these tricky times.