By Niall Gartland
COLM Cavanagh announced his intercounty retirement last September – but admits that he’s enticed by the possibility of playing under Tyrone’s new management regime of Feargal Logan and Brian Dooher.
Cavanagh says it’s more likely than not that he won’t return, but he says that advances were made by the new management team before Christmas, and that he still hasn’t ruled it out completely.
Speaking at the announcement of the 2020 Electric Ireland GAA Minor Special Recognition Awards, Cavanagh explained his feelings:
“My ultimate decision last year came down to a lot of factors in my life and how Covid had impacted on me.
“When I heard the announcement of the new management set-up and the new approach to things, there was a lot of thought in terms of ‘is there another run in me’.
“I played last year until February and I’m okay apart from a bit of trouble with my knee. The Covid thing impacted on my decision to step away.
“We’d a few discussions around the dinner table when I heard the news about the new management set-up. I know a few of the guys personally and have played with them over the years.
“Part of me was thinking, I’ve played 13 years under the one regime – what is another short season if the guys would be willing, it’d be nice.
“Ultimately there’s a lot of things coming into play if it was to happen. Physically I think I’m okay, I’ve continued training on and everyone’s in the same boat doing their own personal training.
“The big part of my decision making is the mental side of things, do I have the mindset to give that dedication. There’s a lot of good lads stepping in to refresh the panel. There’s a bit of temptation there, but look, who knows.”
He continued: “I had a discussion [with the Tyrone management] before Christmas about their thoughts. I did rule myself out in that regard at that time, and I said maybe touch base back in January. I wanted to wind down and enjoy my Christmas.
“The guys obviously anticipated that they’d kick on in January and obviously that hasn’t happened. Look, I’d never completely rule it out but at that this stage, unless something changes in my head over the next few weeks, I’ll probably not see a return but wouldn’t completely rule it out at this stage.”