Advertisement

Delighted Ethan finally passes driving test after delay

A LOCAL teenager is ready to hit the road this week after passing his driving test following a series of lengthy delays due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Driving instruction and tests were permitted to restart on Friday past as part of the latest easing of restrictions, and Castlederg High School student Ethan Stronge said it was a relief to finally get the ‘L’ plates off.

Ethan was able to carry out his practical test at the test centre in Omagh at the fourth time of asking on Tuesday, after seeing his three previous bookings cancelled.

Advertisement

“I had the test cancelled three times on me, and the first booking was supposed to be in December of last year,” Ethan told the UH.

“I had started lessons just after the first lockdown was lifted, but it was just frustrating then as I had to stop  and cancel tests so many times.”

The 17-year-old  said a number of his friends were still waiting to take their driving tests as a result of the backlog caused over the last few months.

Some instructors have suggested that new drivers could be waiting for up to six months to secure a test date.

“There were loads of my friends from school all in the same boat, stuck in the same situation,” Ethan added.

“I got a car at Christmas and it will be good to be able to drive it without having to have someone sit alongside me!”

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere

SUBSCRIBE TO CURRENT EDITION TODAY
and get access to our archive editions dating back to 2007
(CLICK ON THE TITLE BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE)
Top
Advertisement

Ulster Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 10-14 John Street, Omagh, Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland, BT781DW