By Chris Bowes at HiWhatsOn.com
IT’S been another busy week in the world of online entertainment as dozens of incredibly talented local and international acts have went ‘Live’ to raise our spirits and keep us entertained from home.
Glen Hansard from The Frames turned 50 last week and he went live on his birthday with songs and chat from himself and some close friends including Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder.
That same night The Comedy Store in LA hosted an online comedy gala with the biggest names in American comedy including Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Chris D’Elia, Joey Diaz and loads more, streaming to tens of thousands of people across the world.
There was no shortage of local talent on show across the week as well with DJ 2J’s Rave For The Brave kicking things off last Thursday evening followed by local singer songwriter Rian Murphy to top off the evening.
Other highlights from across the weekend included, comedian Terry McHugh who brought his debut stage show from 2013 back to life for one night only performing it live from his kitchen on Friday evening.
Davy Kerrigan, The Logues and DJ 2J’s all returned with their regular Saturday night streams and on Sunday the likes of Johnny Gallagher from The Boxtie Band, Owen McNulty and Rory Gallagher from Rory and The Island stole the show. During his stream, Rory told a story of how less than ten years ago his previous band ‘The Revs’ had a relatively unknown, Snow Patrol, supporting them on tour in Dublin for only £50 between them.
Keelan and Brian Pritchard, Barry Kirwan, Biffy Clyro’s Simon Neil and Aslan’s Christy Dignam all went live earlier this week and there’s loads
more lined up for the week ahead.
Check out our recommendations below and keep an eye on www.hiwhatson.com online or follow us on Facebook where we’ll be sharing all of these live streams as and when they go live across the week.
If you’d like to be featured in our weekly column then please get in touch with a member of the hiwhatson team by visiting our website or private messaging us on Facebook.
Thursday, April 30
• Rian Murphy – Indie, rock covers with originals and requests at 8.15pm.
• Colm and Caitriona Kirwan – Country covers and originals from 9pm.
Friday, May 1
• Brand New Friend – The high energy ‘Brand New Friend’ from the North Coast return with The Johnson Family playing live from 8pm.
• Justin McGurk – The Boogie man is back with all your favourites at 8pm.
• Bantam & Fowl – Niall andCara return with some golden oldies and their perfect harmonies at 8pm.
• False Friends – Jonny Kirwan is back with some False Friends originals and cover requests at 8pm.
• Comedy Karlnival with comedians Karl Spain, Ivan Brackenbury, Frank Sanazi and more at 8pm.
• Sean Magee – Multi-instrumentalist, former All-Ireland fiddle champion, Sean Magee returns with his Friday night stream at 9pm.
Saturday, May 2
• Gavin Kelly – Singer Songwriter Gav Kelly returns with acoustic covers and originals from 6pm.
• Keelan & Brian Pritchard – Father and Son duo playing your requests at 8pm.
• The Logues – Kiel and Logan are back at 8pm with covers and some originals from 8pm.
• The Bonnevilles – Playing a half electric, half acoustic set of Garage, Punk and blues originals with Andy at 8pm.
• Saturday Night Live At The Stand – Some of the biggest names in UK and International Comedy return with resident host Mark Nelson at the helm from 8.30pm.
• Davy K – The Davy K Project returns at 9pm for some classic rock and blues covers.
• DJ 2Js – Late night session from 10.30pm
Sunday, May 3
• Owen McNulty -Acoustic covers from 8pm.
• Rory and The Island – Rory Gallagher plays a high energy set of his own hilarious originals and all your favourite covers from 8pm.
• Johnny Gallagher – Boxtie’s Johnny Gallagher, widely regarded as one of the countries best guitarists from 8pm.
• All Folk’d Up’s Barry Mohan at 8.30pm and brother Pauric Mohan at 10pm. Monday 4th May
• Barry Kirwan – Country originals and covers at 8pm.
• Pat McManus – Former Mama’s Boys frontman, needs little introduction. Simply put, he’s a genius at 9pm.